Friday, May 15, 2009

Day One Hundred Thirty Five...

I saw this hawk on a VERY low hanging electrical line on a road a couple miles from the house on my way home this afternoon. I decided to turn the car around and go back for a photo, and he (I assume) was very cooperative, and was not spooked by my attention. He did eventually fly off, but not before I was able to take a few very close range photos. I guess I was about 15 feet away from him (as the crow flies).

Today was not a bad day. The traffic going into the office was not intolerable. I wonder if we are finally seeing the downturn in the economy affecting our traffic patterns? I have heard that cities around the country have realized a lessening in traffic congestion, and they have attributed that to the problems with the economy. More people are out of work, so less people commuting TO work makes the traffic congestion on the highways less of an issue. I had not really thought our traffic challenges had become less of a problem until this week, when the daily commute was noticeably less problematic. Whenever there is a major education holiday or break (spring break, Christmas break or school is over for the semester types of things) there is a noticeable lessening of traffic, and we always look forward to that. The University of Texas has about 50K students, so when they are on break, it is like an entire town is off the road.

I had a productive day at the office, and got lots of work done, and then I had a chance to have lunch with my friend Chad. I was also waiting on a tenant to come into the office to pay her rent, so that caused us to have to do a hastier lunch than we had anticipated, because I had a 2 PM appointment that was about thirty miles away from the office. So, we went next door to El Mercado for lunch and I had the #5 daily lunch special which is the chicken enchilada plate. Yummy good!

I went to my appointment and was actually seven minutes late, but I called ahead and let them know I would be a few minutes late. The appointment lasted about an hour, and then I left for home, making a few stops along the way. I stopped at Lowe's and bought two more shelf units for the re-sale shop, and then of course I had to deliver them to the market. After that, I stopped at HEB for a couple donuts. They did not really have the kind I wanted, so I settled for the next best thing.

On the way home, I called our friend Michael to ask about his grandmother (and our friend) Pauline who was scheduled for surgery today in Temple. Michael said they had decided not to perform the surgery today, and was not really sure of the reason for the decision, but I will find out more about that later. I also congratulated Michael on the birth of his son last Saturday. The proud papa apologized for missing the party, but I told him that childbirth was an acceptable excuse and that we would look forward to seeing the new citizen.

I also called the wind turbine generator folks that were here today installing the antenna on the one unit that failed to have it. They are both out there just spinning-up-a-storm...I hope that our electric bill will show some considerable decreases. Time will tell, but it will not be because those things are not spinning. I still kind of think the far generator is working better then the generator nearest to the house, but maybe that is my imagination. We shall see...

The pool also looked kind of cloudy to me, and I called Jeanette our pool maintenance person, and she said she bet the chlorine level had finally gone down, and so I went out and put the chlorine generator button on 'AUTO' and turned on the system. Hopefully it will begin to clear up pretty soon.

Jody is making a pasta dish for dinner tonight, so we are both looking forward to that, and there will be plenty of things for me to do tomorrow. There is always stuff to do around here, and I take great pleasure in getting it done. Also, there is a party to be attended tomorrow afternoon at our neighbors (Randy and Irene) home in celebration of their daughters graduating with her Master's Degree. What an accomplishment that is!

So, I consciously did a couple good deeds today, and I am happy about that. How about yourself? Did you do anything nice and unexpected for anyone? Well, in case you did not, don't fret over it, there will always be a chance tomorrow. Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment