Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day Three Hundred Fifty Eight...

Merry Christmas Eve everyone! I hope you are all ready for the best Christmas ever, and even if you choose not to celebrate this particular holiday, I hope you have plenty of things to be thankful for, and that you are looking forward to a wonderfully Happy New Year. As for me, I am very glad to be going to get a hair cut shortly, and then to do a little bit of last minute grocery shopping with Jody. Then it will be back to the house for naps, and maybe a little pain pill on the side, but otherwise, I am planning to just really enjoy the day, and I expect I will take a little time out to count my blessings. My friend Jana reports (via a FaceBook post) that her family has adopted a four-legged friend from the Williamson County Animal Shelter. The new addition is named Coconut! Congratulations! We adopted our big Bear dog from there just a little over a year ago, and we are really delighted that he has come home to live with us. And our friend Greg P reports that his furry friends were rescue pets, too!

Well, the temperature yesterday was about 74 degrees, and not it is about 46 degrees, and there is a nice strong wind from the Northeast. You know the old saying...so I won't repeat it! All I can say is, you never know what the weather will do in these parts. Jody said it was really windy and rainy last night, but I was (obviously) out like an incandescent light. I did not hear a thing. We did record about .35" of rain in the gauge overnight though. The breeze is really strong right now, too, and I am amazed that the Christmas Tree on the parch is still standing. If it blows over again, it will be down for the season, I expect. No sense raising it again, just to dismantle it for the season.

It is CRAZY WINDY here, and I am surprised the Christmas Tree is still standing on the front porch. There are gale force winds from the Northeast, and even though the temperature is about 41 degrees, the hurricane force winds are making it feel much colder. Jody snook (or snuck) one in on me this afternoon. If you know me at all, you know I REALLY like rusty stuff, so he got into cahoots with Michael and Michael came up with this rusty piece of agri-history for the place. I am not sure what it is called, but Michael said it was used after planting to cover the seed with dirt. I think it is great, and it will be a new piece of the new collection of STUFF! In this photo, behind the agri-antique, you can see the original hand-dug well that was on the property when Aunt Mary used to live here. The concrete trough to the right of the well is dated 1932, and I have no idea when the well was dug, but it has always had water in it, even during the worst of the drought this past summer. After I went and admired it for a while, I decided there was no better time to go make sure the cattle had plenty of water, and to turn the water troughs off so there will be no chance of them freezing overnight. The cattle always think if I am back there with the Mule, that they are going to be fed, so I hated to disappoint them. They are not that hungry, because there is still a half bale of the hay that I put out for them last week. They have been enjoying the grasses in the two pastures they are in for now, so they have been letting up on the hay for a while.

I think Jody and I are going to try the Filling Station again for dinner tonight, maybe they will have the fried shrimp tonight, and Jody is wanting to try their stuffed baked potatoes. That will pretty much do it for this Christmas Eve, and I hope you all have wonderful traditions at your houses that you will be enjoying.

Deeds, Actions, Kindnesses, Changes, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment