Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day Three Hundred Forty Three...

It is absolutely a gorgeous day in Austin, Texas. This is a photo of the Professional Standards Hearing Panel that I chaired this morning (Steve, Gina, ME, Warren, Jean, Sally, Kevin and Sandy). No big deal, we were in and out, nobody got hurt. If you believe that, I have a bridge in NYC I would like to offer you for purchase. Anyway, I will be winding down my responsibilities as Chair of the Professional Standards Committee, and will only be eligible to do a few of those beginning in 2010. I will really miss doing it, and my knowledge as a REALTOR will suffer from it. DARN!

Okay, now, back to the weather. I was REALLY surprised to go outside this morning, the wind was pretty much as a gale force (and I had no idea). I cannot believe that I was sitting in the home office and did not know the wind was blowing as hard as it was. When I went outside to get the newspaper (and read my meters...anal morning ritual), it was COLD. Anyway, I guess I will continue to be surprised about things at that house for a while to come. The turbines were really cranking, and flags were straight out, and it was BREEZY. But it was warm and toasty inside. The drive to work was pleasant. I needed to stop and put gas in the car (I always hate to say I needed to stop and get gas), and then I needed to go to HEB across the street to get something for the Pot Luck Luncheon. That will be fun, and I hope they all like macaroni salad and Christmas Cookies!

Just back from the Pot Luck Luncheon and Professional Development and Education meeting, and WHAT A MEETING IT WAS! The idea of the Pot-Luck luncheon was truly inspired, and a big CONGRATULATIONS to this year's chair Chad for all his hard work and inspiration on behalf of the committee. It was a great year for the committee, and there were lots of achievements made by dozens of the members. Before he meeting actually began, Chad had invited the CEO of the Austin Board of REALTORS to address the committee, and had lots of kind words to say too all of us, along with his profuse congratulations. This is a photo of the CEO, David.

Then the meeting began, and it was truthfully a very short business meeting. We were all pretty much in the Holiday Spirit, so we were not much for business. Chad and Sally (see photo adjacent to this paragraph) tried valiantly to keep the meeting on track, and they actually conducted the business that needed to be conducted. We were all really full from the luncheon. I had helped myself to ham, turkey, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, broccoli and rice casserole, a couple different kinds of unidentifiable casseroles, cherry cobbler, and a couple other kinds of desserts. Everything was yummy yummy good, and I was out of there and on the way back to the office before 2 o'clock. Life is definitely sweet at this time of year!

I am right now on a conference call with a colleague in Georgia, and it is obvious that I am busily multi-tasking. I think that is possibly considered unkind and rude, but I look at it the same was I look at texting while I am driving down I-35, or looking at the wrecked cars as I drive past them at 3 miles per hour. I know I should not do it, but I really cannot help it! There will come a time when I will not do that any longer, and I am sure you all know when that will be. On another note, my New Year's Resolution (that I started earlier) is going very nicely, thank you very much. If you do not recall, I have resolved to use my turn signals when I am changing lanes. And I am doing it...much (I started to put most, but changed it) of the time...and yes, sometimes I am already completely in the changed lane, AND THEN I turn on my signal, just to let the people behind me know what I just did. Kind of an 'I'm sorry, I will try to do better next time' kind of thing. Whatever...

Okay, so now I am not distracted (or hungry), so I will expound on my usual blog closing. If you have been following this blog for a while, you know I generally close with the same type of thoughts, but sometimes I give the cliff notes version. So, today it will be unabridged...

Find someone who might be less fortunate than yourself, and do a kind deed for that person. It is especially satisfying if you do a kindness for someone who least expects it from you. It (the kindness) need not be something monumental, sometimes just a kind word or a 'thank-you' can make a tremendous difference in someones day. And while you are at it, perhaps you can make a small change in your life that will be a benefit to all of us, and can actually make a positive change in the world in which we ALL MUST share. Again, you need not change something BIG...just some small change that will make the world a better place. And by all means, HAVE FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment