Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day Three Hundred Thirty Nine...

This is what a formerly lovely lush stand of cannas looks like the day after the first freeze of the season. Yep, we had our first hard freeze last night, and I do not think our heater shut off at all...I am sure it did, but it seemed like it ran all night long. When I got up this morning, the sun was already coming up, and the nuclear weather station reported an outside temperature of about 27 degrees, which means that at ground level it may have been a few degrees cooler than that. The animal water dishes were pretty much frozen solid, and there was a sparkly glaze over the grass (and weeds). Interestingly, the dandelions and thistles right next to the cannas all survived without even so much as a whimper. When I chop (really, me?) down the cannas and other frozen flora, it will make pulling the weeds easier.

Had a nice big breakfast this morning of egg loaf and English muffins. Then Jody and I headed out to the Bartlett Public Library (The Teinert Memorial Public Library) to see if I could find a copy of the 'Texas Co-Op Power' magazine from a few months back. There was an advertisement for a solar energy provider that I wanted to talk with, but I only saw the ad one time. That is the challenge with advertising, you have to do it consistently for a while, or it will just do no good. Anyway, they did not have a copy of it, and we came on home. Interestingly, we decided to go through all the magazine stashes we have around the house, and we finally found the magazine I needed stashed in Jody's papers...he had put the copy in the kitchen recipe rack, because there was a recipe for corn casserole that he wanted to try. At least I found the advertisement!

After that, we went out and fed the cattle. The littlest calf (a beautiful black and white heifer) looks so cute in her winter coat. We got rid of the other calves last week, so she is the only calf left. She will be going off to a new life in another couple months, and the whole calving process will begin again. Mr. Speckles is a lucky guy with his harem of seven bovine beauties! Anyway, the cattle all got fed, and we put a fresh bale of hay out for them. They are really going through the hay, but I am not going to put more than one bale a week out for them, there is plenty of grass still, and they are not going to give me those big cow eyes and make me think they are starving. They ain't!

We went into Georgetown and stopped by the Collector's Market, and then to Home Depot and our usual stop at the Dairy Queen for spoilers. We got home, and Jody laid down for a nap, and I started reading a couple magazines that came in the mail, and I slept for a couple hours. Weekends are good for that. I am expecting a pretty good football game tonight, I hope everything goes the way the Longhorns (the UT ones, not ours) want it to. It's about two hours to kick-off.

Not supposed to be a cool tonight, not even freezing. That is the way it is here, it will freeze every now and then, but we usually do not have freezes that last for more than a few hours.

Deeds, Kindnesses, Change, Actions, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment