Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day Three Hundred FIfty Four...

Okay, the troughs have been moved, I did a bad thing to my back, and the cattle are now moved to another pasture-and-a-half. This is a photo of Mr. Speckles, HE DA MAN! He has a good thing going for him, and he knows it, too. He is really just like a giant Chihuahua, and he loves to be petted, brushed and paid attention to. They have not been fed yet, because they are so far too busy eating the fresh grass and hay. Mr. Speckles always is in the lead of the pack, and his harem follows obediently behind. However, it seems this time that three of his girls have outsmarted him and the rest of the girls. Doodle Bug and her family of two calves found the front weening pasture that I left opened, and the three of them are all happily munching away on the tall grass that has not been bothered for several months. It will be interesting to see what happens when the rest of the herd discovers that area. I expect it will all be eaten down pretty well within several days. I cleaned out one of the water troughs, and that will be pretty clean for them, and I do not expect there will be too many issues with freezing weather for the next several days. All should be good.

Here we have three generations of cow butts. From left to right, they are in order of youngest to oldest; 'Cow-Patty' is the youngest calf we have, then 'Lady Bug' and then the matriarch of this little family, 'Doodle Bug'. I am really most fond of the black-and-white cattle, but I think they are all very handsome cattle. I think I just like the contrast of the black-and-white. 'Cow-Patty' was sired by Mr. Speckles, and she will be the next calf to go to a new home, most likely in a month or two. She is already spoken for, and then we should start working on our next round of spring calves. It is always interesting to walk out, make a count, and end up with one more than there was yesterday.

It is a beautiful day here in central Texas, even though it started out a bit chilly. Jody is feeling a little bit puny, so I am not sure what we will be up to later this afternoon. I do want to go over and visit with Pauline and Hubert and Michael and Abby and the baby for a little while, but other than that, I have nothing on the agenda. Maybe go through the movies that have been here for a couple weeks, and get them sent back to NetFlix. Who knows... More about the bad thing I did to my back...all I did was lift up a piece of fence and I heard it crack. You just never know when something like that is going to happen, and so far, it only REALLY hurts after I have been sitting or resting for a while. It takes me a while to get the loco-motion going, but after that, it seems to be tolerable. Good think I have the pain pills for my knee surgery on Tuesday...I may need to dip into them a little bit before the actual event!

Jody and I went into Georgetown primarily so I could get me hair cut, BUT when we arrived, we found our my stylist of choice (Irene) was not working today. She has always worked on Sunday, but not today. So, we went over to the Collector's Market, Tractor Supply and then to Dairy Queen where we luxuriated in another spoiler. I think we are going to the Filling Station for dinner tonight. When we got back, I went over to Pauline & Hubert's, but no one was around, and no one was at Michael and Abby's either. Everyone must be out doing last minute Holiday stuff. It seems we have our very own 'lost maple', and it is glowing brilliantly out by the road. Neither Jody or I remember it making a display like this last year, so it is another one of those found treasures on the property. It is always fund to find something new.

Jody decided to take a nap, and I fast-forwarded through two of the movies that have been here for a couple weeks from NetFlix. I think we will watch the third one together this evening, and I will get these back in the mail tomorrow, so we can get a fresh batch before the long weekend.

Actions, Deeds, Changes, Kindnesses, Good Wishes, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment