Saturday, May 22, 2010

2010 - Day One Hundred Forty Two...

No bees were harmed in the writing of this blog entry. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of working the hives this morning. In addition to everything else, I think the bees were angry because I was concerned that I should be smiling as I took this self-portrait of myself, just prior to being stung to a stupor! What an idiot! I went out to work the hives this morning, and my intention was to remove the feeders from all of the hives, put queen excluders on all the hives, add one super to all of the hives and remove the entrance reducer from all of the hives. I got everything done except for removing one of the entrance reducers from the last hive...AND I still need to strap that hive down. By the time I got to the last hive, the bees were not happy people. I have chosen not to use the smoker when I work the hives, but I will not be doing that anymore. From now on, the smoker must be used. I was stung three times, not any really big deal, I seem to have built up a nice tolerance for bee stings, but hundreds of bees tried to sting me, and ended up just martyring themselves by stinging my suit. I hate it that I caused the untimely deaths of so many bees, but I will know better next time. I will go out tomorrow and finish what I started!

I moved twelve bales of hay this morning from the field to the storage spot, so the front field is ready for rain. This evening, I am going to try and move at least eight bales from the far back pasture, and then eight more tomorrow morning and eight more tomorrow afternoon. That is the goal. I have to show property in Austin tomorrow in the late morning, so that is why I am trying to pace myself. Who know, I may get more done tonight than I think I can, so we will just play it as it goes.

Our friends John and Susan came out to the farm this afternoon, and they brought two of their grandchildren along with them to see the cattle and the chicks. The granddaughter liked the chicks better than the cows, and the grandson seemed unphased by the whole thing. It was fun to have them out to the farm, and we had a nice time just walking around and enjoying the peace and quiet of the country.

Jody and I went into Taylor earlier this morning, allegedly to fill up the gas and diesel cans, but as long as we were there, we might just as well stop at the Dairy Queen for a spoiler. We both had the monthly special, I think it was called the 'Bar Buster', and I think it had like a Heath Bar Ice Cream bar kind of theme. It was good...peanuts, chocolate and ice cream, you can hardly go wrong.

Okay, I am in for the night, it took me basically an hour to move 8 bales of hay, and I think that is plenty for the night. That means I moved 20 bales of hay today, and I think that is just fine. It also means I have 16 bales to move tomorrow, so I will be up early doing that. I have to be at the office by 11 o'clock in the morning, so I think I can get most of the hay moved in the morning, AND accost the one bee hive and get that all finished. I am on a mission.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, HAY BALES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment