Sunday, June 20, 2010

2010 - Day One Hundred Seventy One...

There is no way I can adequately describe how much stuff I have accomplished around the house today. I got up about 5:45 and putzed around for a little while. I finally went outside and got the newspaper, and did my meter readings. All is well. Shortly after, Jody was up, and we read the paper and had coffee. About 7 o'clock, I decided I needed to go out and cut some grass before it got too hot. I have to use the push type mower to cut around trees and things, and then I use the riding mower to cut the big spaces. I have cut grass several times today, and I have pretty much come to the conclusion that there is no end to grass cutting around this place. Again, the 2 and a half acres the house is on is a lot more labor intensive than the other 42 acres. CRAZY!

After I cut most of the front grass, Miguel and his brother-in-law Juan showed up, and there was plenty of stuff for them to do. Jody and I left to go into Bartlett in search of sweet rolls or something for breakfast. We went to one bakery where the basically have donuts, but they also have breakfast croissants and sausage and biscuits. We decided to go to the other bakery where they were advertising breakfast tacos. We ordered and took our tacos home with us. I ordered a Nopalito and Egg taco, the first time I have ever tried that. Really had no particular taste one way or the other, but it was good, and I will have one again. They were on corn tortillas, so that was lovely.

We got home and enjoyed the tacos, and Miguel and Juan had taken down a HUGE privet that was in front of the porch, and they took down an Afghan Pine (obviously a Christmas tree from years ago) that had seen better days. I know Afghan Pines do not have a long life expectancy, and the droughts of the past couple years took a tool on it, so it was time to go. Might as well put it out of its' misery! Things look much better with both items gone, and we can actually see outside with the big privet gone. I planted some four o'clock seeds where it was, and some more where I had planted them the last time (you remember, the ones the weed puller thought were weeds and pulled up). Whatever... ANYWAY, we both like the scent of four o'clocks, and they will come back year after year with little effort. AND the add nice color, and the bees and the humming birds will enjoy them.

I also fed the cattle and took a fresh bale of hay out to them. I took the food out to them and they were all in the barn, sheltering themselves from the sun. It did not take too much encouragement for them to come out and see what I was doing with the Mule. They are always happy to see the Mule, they always think the Mule equals food, and about once a week they are right! All the cattle seem to be doing well, I am thinking we will have one or two more calves this year. We shall see.

It is hot, hOT, HOT here in central Texas. After I did most of everything I had intended to do, I got nekkid and jumped in the pool. Always a refreshing way to cool off. I have also drunk about three cokes today with voluminous amounts of ice. I am also sure I have a red-neck farmer type tan working right now as well. We shall see. Well, I shall see, you probably will not. Whatever.

In spite of the heat, the crepe myrtles are really outdoing themselves this year. They are really just blooming up a storm, and we have four of five different colors of them, along with about six (allegedly rare) single trunk crepe myrtle trees. We have several snow-white ones at the front of the property that are just gorgeous. I may show you some of them in tomorrows post. I am also looking forward to the passion vine blooming this year. It had a really good year last year, so I hope it does as well this year. We also have lots of little pecans on the trees, so that will be wonderful if we get some pecans in the fall. I will let you know.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, GRASS CUTTING, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment