Tuesday, September 7, 2010

2010 - Day Two Hundred Fifty...

Okay, I am not going to do it...I WILL NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE RAIN. Go ahead, give it your best shot. There is no way I will complain about this wonderful precipitation that is falling from the sky. WE NEED THE RAIN! I will, however, relate several interesting (okay not so interesting maybe) stories about the unexpected consequences many of my fellow Austinites and I have suffered because WE CAN'T DRIVE IN THE RAIN!

Okay, first, there was my commute into Austin this morning. TWO HOURS! Two hours to traverse an otherwise 45 to 60 minute commute. The good part was, there was really very little stopping...just lots of slowness. SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. But it did give me an opportunity to take another of my famous wet-windshield photos. I love these things, it really makes me feel creative and artistic. Or just monotonous, you be the judge...

Okay, here is one you don't see or hear about that often. The basic quote I heard much of the morning was 'there is a house in the middle of MoPac'. For those of you who are not 'from here' MoPac stands for Missouri-Pacific, because the railroad track runs down the middle of this road, otherwise known as Loop 1 (not to be confused with Loop 360, which is further west by about 4 or 5 miles. ANYWAY, I could not really grasp what folks were trying to tell me about a 'house in the middle of MoPac' but it seems there was a 'house in the middle of MoPac', which pretty succinctly explained why traffic was total chaos all over the rest of the city. It seems this 'house' slid off its' trailer a couple times about 4:30 this morning, and it was kind of touch and go after that. Unfortunately, most people just wanted it to 'touch and went', but that did not happen. Whatever...

Okay, I am going to get this out of the way real quickly. If I am driving up (or down) the Interstate and it is raining (and if it was today and the wind gusts were coming at about 40 miles per hour) you will recognize me as the 'OLD GRANNY' driving down (or up) the road. C'MON GRAMMA, GET A MOVE ON! Yep, that will be me in the outside lane, just trying to keep it between the ditches, and making new marks in the steering wheel where I have a death grip on the stupid thing. Okay, so I do not do that well at high speeds with less than optimum visibility, with larger vehicles with more tires than me passing me and blinding me with their road-wash. SUE ME! But at least I got here, and it only took me a little over an hour.

It was raining so hard on the drive home, that I went to the creek not far from our house to see how high the water was...and it wasn't. Could not even tell we had any rain except the road was wet. So far, we have had about an inch-and-a-half in the last 24 hours, but there has been lots more than that in Austin. And I still expect we will get some more rain tonight.

The chickens have been fed, all is pretty much done for the night. I will go out later and put them to bed, and that will be it. A busy day tomorrow, having meetings at City Hall, and then a couple meetings at the Texas Association of REALTORS. Leaving for Galveston on Friday! Woo-Hoo!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, MANIACAL EIGHTEEN WHEELERS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment