Sunday, August 12, 2012

2012 - Day 225/161 - Sunday...

I got to sleep in again this morning, but taking a nap this afternoon was absolutely out of the question.

Miguel was not able to come out today but I did get a good bit of work done, and it is still going on.  I got some grass cut in the front of the house (up by the bee yard) without being bothered by the bees.  I have been trying to get some of the beds watered today since there has been no rain in about three weeks, and there is nothing in the forecast that gives me even a glimmer of hope that we will get any anytime soon.

I also got the cattle fed.  I took two bales of hay out to them, and it was gratifying to see that there was still hay in the rings from last week, so I know they are not going hungry.  There is some good green for them and if there is green, they certainly prefer that over the hay.  I am hoping to have some work done in the grazing pastures in the next couple weeks, and that, along with ANY rain will help the cattle.  I would certainly prefer green for them over a dependence on hay bales.  BUT, I took a good count, and right now I have 65 bales of hay, so in case of a real problem, that will see us through for a little while.  Probably not enough for a year (it would be if I were to cull the herd) but for a little while.

Speaking of hay, Jody and I went into Georgetown this afternoon (imagine that) and one of our stops was at Tractor Supply.  They have about a dozen round bales against the side of the building, and I asked them how much there were selling bales for and they responded $95 per bale.  SO, that means I have over $6K in hay out near the back pasture.  I thought hay would be cheaper than that, but I guess not.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, HAY BALES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment