Sunday, August 19, 2012

2012 - Day 232/154 - Sunday...

Well, we actually did get a little bit more rain last night.  We ended up with 1.27" for the 24-hour period.  We are very happy with that.  Jody reports that at about 2 o'clock in the morning there was a tremendous flash of lightning and a great crack of thunder that immediately brought the dog up out of the bed for some comfort.  I slept through the whole thing.  Then about twenty minutes later there was an alarm from the weather service (we have one of those weather-alarm radios) warning us of a flash-flood possibility in Williamson (us) and Travis Counties (Austin).  I slept through the whole thing. I obviously was in need of sleep.  But when I got out of bed this morning (about 5:30) I was quite refreshed and ultimately was awarded with this beautiful sunrise.

I was trying to get an early start on the day because I was expecting Miguel to come by and help me with stuff around the property.  Before I started making a pile of eggs, Jody mentioned that he had bought bacon at the grocery the week before, so we were treated to bacon with our breakfast.  I can think of few things that I like better than bacon.  If it was up to me, we would enjoy bacon with our bacon.

Just as I was about to sit down to breakfast, Miguel arrived, so I went outside and got him started and came back in to eat.

Miguel and I got a lot of work done today, mainly cleaning up around the property.  We lost several trees last year during the drought, and we have been in the process of taking down trees and piling up brush here and there.  We got all the brush piles moved to one of the back pastures (where we will eventually burn it), plus we got two LARGE tree trunks taken back there (surprising what you can accomplish with a tractor and a great length of chain).  We also got four more trees cut in the front hay field (and all that is in the back waiting to be burned).  Another couple of good weekends like this, and we will have the place under control.
I think it is interesting that this snake was in no hurry to go anywhere, even though it was at the BOTTOM of the large pile of brush.  It was certainly no secret that we were heading its way.  I was a little bit more surprised to see it than it was (seemingly) surprised to see me.  He was, however, happily relocated to one of the Iris beds in the front of the property.

SPOILER ALERT:  Just in case you are a fan of my postings when I get home late and have a glass of wine before posting, you might make a note on your calendars to check out the entries this coming Tuesday and Thursday.  I'm just sayin'...

Deeds, Actions, Changes, HARD WORK, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment