Tuesday, October 29, 2013

2013 - Day 302/63 - Tuesday...

This is a totally boring photo, but I actually did have to stop for gas on the way home this evening, and the price of gas was (just barely) under $3 per gallon.  Just barely.  It is a photo of something that I had to do today, and I have other photos of other things I had to do today, so just ask if you really want to see them.

I made it into the office today, and stayed in the office working until about 1:30.  I had a 2 o'clock appointment to get my hair cut, and then I needed to go to Costco.  Then I needed to stop at the Board office (to change my shirt after the hair cut ) and drop off some stuff.  Then I headed off to an Affiliate Appreciation night at Iron Cactus.  There were about150 to 200 affiliates there, representing about 100 businesses and organizations that have products and/or services that can be marketed to real estate professionals.  It was a great event, lasted a couple hours. 

While I was there, I noticed there was a call on my phone from our neighbor Irene, and the Google Voice transcription just asked that I give her a call when I had the time.  I left the event and gave Jody a call first, and he said that one of the cows (Orchid) had a new calf in the far back pasture and that the calf was dead.  I am not really that experienced as a farmer, but I was not really hot for having to deal with this.  Jody was also concerned that Orchid was dealing with a retained placenta, something that I actually do have a lot of experience with.

To make a long story less boring, I got home just at dark, found the calf, picked it up and put it in the back of the Polaris, and moved it away from all the cattle.  I put the calf as far back on the property as I could, in the further southwest corner of the property as I could.  The winds tonight are coming from that direction, so I am hoping that the wind will not carry the scent of the calf so that Orchid can smell her dead calf.  Randy (Irene's husband) advised that everything should be okay.  The next thing is for the coyotes to do their work, and the cycle of life will continue.

Sad, but that is part of it.  It was a fully developed bull calf, beautifully marked, but he just did not survive.  Life as we know it and as we knew it will continue.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CIRCLES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment