Friday, June 12, 2015

2015 - Day 163/202 - Friday...

This is a reminder (to me just as much as to anyone else) of just how Austin has changed in the (almost) thirty years that I have lived here. When I moved here, it was a really nice, relaxed, liberal spot that nobody cared that much about. Now we are the 11th largest city in the United States, hundreds (literally) of people move here on a daily basis, and there is no end in sight. For all its' forward thinking, Austin is (at the same time) relatively backward in its' planning and foresight. There is no mass transit, there is no real plan for mass transit, and everyone is in love with their truck. Yes, I too have a truck, but I also live on a farm. I live fifty miles from my office and I commute back and forth every day of the week, and very frequently on the weekends as well. I would welcome the state to build a toll road from my driveway to my office, and I would pay the seven dollars a day that would be required for that toll road commute. I am happy to support anything that will lessen my drive times and commuting frustration. But for now, this is the best we got, the best we can do. Commuter rail that (seemingly) is well used by folks from the northern burbs to the city and back and forth. It is a start.

It was a busy and rewarding day. Meetings, meetings, appointments, and stuff. Tomorrow I have some stuff to take care of in Austin, but I think I will try and take some time for myself (and Jody) on Sunday.

...AND...it rained overnight just a little bit in Austin. I stayed in town Wednesday and Thursday nights, and when I went to the car this morning, there were droplets all over it. On the way home this afternoon, we had a couple pretty good cloud bursts, and Jody even reported a trace at the farm.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, COMMUTES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment