Tuesday, August 1, 2017

2017 - Day 213/152 - Tuesday...

Welcome to August. Crap. I think I probably mentioned it a couple days ago, but I introduced the 'oldest' chicks in to the coop with the senior citizen girls, and so far, they are all surviving the trauma. There have been some 'pecking order' issues, but again, no harm (allegedly) has been to to old or new. Last night, the four new girls were roosting on the top roost with some of the old girls, and that is a really good sign. The first day or so, they were unsure about the 'free ranging' gig, but they seem to be adjusting pretty well. This morning, after I let them loose, I checked on them as I was leaving, and the new girls were no where to be seen. I finally found them hanging out within the bamboo forest. The bamboo was intentionally planted as a refuge and haven for the chickens, so they can get away from flying prey (like Hawks), but it could also protect them from dogs and coyotes. The rose bushes out in the circle are good for that too. The bamboo and roses are both pretty thick, and by the time the chickens got into a hiding spot, the dogs or coyotes would (IMHO) be pretty much the worse for wear. Any-Hoo... We are looking forward to cooler temperatures tomorrow, and there is even the possibility offside rain early in the morning, and chances of rain every day for the next several days. I hope they prognosticators don't let me down on this one. Deeds, Actions, Changes, FREE RANGERS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment