Sunday, August 6, 2017

2017 - Day 218/147 - Sunday...

One other thing I did yesterday that I did not report on, was to move the littlest chicks from their growth pen into their developer pen. They were really getting too big for the small pen, and they have taken to their new digs just fine. It is interesting to see them get bigger. This batch of chicks includes two Americaus (the have green legs and lay green eggs), two Plymouth Barred Rocks and two Columbian Wyandottes. The Wyandottes are turning out to be my favorite of the chicks, they are good sized and are really kind of interesting to look at. So, this is a photo from earlier today in their new habitat. In about another three weeks they will join the big girls in the coop, and we will see how that changes the pecking order.
Once again, it was too hot to do much of anything, but I managed to do a couple things today. I did some watering, took a bale of hay to the cattle even thought they did not need it. They did not put much of a dent into the hay bale I told them last week, and the bale I took them several weeks ago is still about half there. I cleaned the chicken coop, and changed the pine shavings in the nesting boxes. Twice this year we have had to buy eggs, and the kind of eggs we get from the chickens are EXPENSIVE at the grocery store. Big lovely brown eggs (mostly) are, comparatively speaking, seemingly a luxury item at the grocery. BUT, in reality, we bought a dozen eggs yesterday. So far this month, we have collected three eggs from the old girls, that is part of the reason for nurturing the newest girls. I may (have not decided) get a few more chicks when I move the littlest chicks into the coop. The target date for that is September 1st. We shall see. May I be excused? I have watering to do. Deeds, Actions, Changes, CHICKS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment