Saturday, January 13, 2018

2018 - Day 13/352 - Saturday...1898...

We lost two more chickens this week, both on Thursday. One just disappeared and the surviving Pancake was left just to die between the front barn and the road. I found her early afternoon on Thursday and left her there to see if she would recover. That chicken has fooled us a couple times. When I got back home Thursday evening, she was in the same spot, had not moved, but she was still alive. I put her in a box and put her inside the coop out of the cold. She was dead the next day. SO...that makes ten hens we lost in about a week. I went out and bought a dozen chicks this afternoon, figuring I could get them big enough to be not quite as needy by the time I make my first out of tow trip this year, around the end of February. By that time they should be big enough that they can be outside in the intermediate coop and not too much maintenance required. By the middle of April they will be moved into the coop with the big girls.

Interestingly, we have been pretty lucky in the nine years we have lived here, with the occasional lost chicken, but ten in one week is a little bit overwhelming!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CHICKS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment