Saturday, June 29, 2024

Volume 16 - Day 181/185, 2024 - Saturday

Have I mentioned that it is too far for this time of year? Probably not, but it is. It is very warm and very humid when we go for our walks in the morning, and it gets warmer during the day. A special shout-out to Willis Carrier, who invented the first electrical air conditioning in 1902. I didn't know it was invented that long ago, and I am pretty sure it was not readily available for a long time after that. When I was growing up in Michigan, our house did not have air conditioning, and after my father died in 1968, we got a window unit that cooled the living room and dining room. When I/we moved to Memphis (c 1969), air conditioning was pretty common, and it is definitely common here in Texas. But I know air conditioning in Texas was not really common until maybe the 1960's, and I know for sure it was hot much before that. Enough of that. We had a nice walk this morning, then Diane, Pam, Marian and I hit five estate sales. I spent a few dollars and got a few treasures, but the sales and the houses they were at we all kind of weird. But, I may go back to one of them tomorrow, maybe. Tonight was the second house concert of the season, and there were ten of us, and that was kind of surprising. It was 95 degrees, maybe more, and it would not have surprised me if everyone stayed home in the air conditioning. See above. It was a fun evening, and there was a nice breeze, and we all had a good time. Now it is time to go have a few slices of water melon, and pile up in the bed with the two girls. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment