Sunday, June 24, 2012

2012 - Day 176/190 - Sunday...

Miguel was not able to come out and help today, but we still got a lot of things accomplished, and that was all good.  I did not pull many weeds, but there was some good stuff done.  To begin, Jody and I went out and got started putting the finishing touches on the auxiliary chicken coop.  So far (about ten hours later) I still do not think the newest chicks have ever had their feet on real dirt or the ground.  The opportunity is there and I expect they will do it soon, but not yet.  Of course, all the other chickens had to come and check things out, and Vera was right in the middle of all of it.  She seems to always be right in the middle of everything, along with her two sisters from the original batch of chickens.  They are the friendliest and the most curious.

We put three and a half sides of the cage (actually a dog kennel) together, and then we moved the coop that had been inside the barn outside, and put it on the flattened box that the kennel came in.  Then we kind of used the box as a sled, and slid the coop over to where we had built the cage.  We got the coop into the cage and then we put the tarp on as the roof, and that was pretty much it.

Before I could do some of that though, I had to move a couple old water troughs that we had tried using as a raised garden (that never did work) and some of the downed tree limbs.  I also tried moving the tree that fell over a couple weeks ago.  Everything at least got moved out of the way using the truck and the tractor (not at the same time) to pull it out of the way.  Sooner or (but probably) later, I will have to haul it all off somewhere and get rid of it or store it or something.

It was also a day for doing stuff, and taking a rest; doing a little more and taking another rest.  It is darned hot, so you cannot really stay outside and work for too long.  I did get hay out to the cattle and took them two new buckets of molasses.  I did not get the gutter on the west side of the house cleaned out, but it seems like the tropical depression is going to go elsewhere, so there is no emergency about that.  I did cut my fingernails.

AND, I did get some figs picked.  The fig tree in my estimation bloomed kind of late, and it seems like I was picking figs a lot earlier last year.  BUT, there are plenty of figs, and these are some figs that I will be taking into the office tomorrow.  Seems like folks at the office like figs, and I think I have only eaten fresh figs ONCE in my life, and that was last year or the year before.  They never have appealed to me, but I like fig preserves just fine.

Lots of things to get accomplished this week coming, and then the week after that will be a short Holiday week.  Totally ready for that!


Deeds, Actions, Changes, STUFF, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment