Saturday, February 2, 2013

2013 - Day 33/312 - Saturday...

So, the picture that I took for todays entry (for some reason) did not take.  I cannot think of a time that I took a picture with that digital camera and it just was not there when I went to download it, but, whatever...

NOW, I will get right in to todays lead story, but before I begin, you should all know that VERA IS OKAY! 

Yesterday (even though I did not report on it), Jody reported that a dog had made off with three chickens.  One after another.  THe dog kept coming back to grabbing chickens.  Vera was not one of the victims.  So, suddenly we were down to seven chickens.  This afternoon our neighbor Randy came over and asked if we were missing any chickens.  I told him about the chicken killing dog and he said he had seen a chicken up by his place and wondered if it was ours.  I told him we had accounted for the seven surviving chickens and that they sometimes go out on the road and maybe they had made it up to his place, but I thought they had all come back.  When Randy got home, he said there was a chicken still up at his place, so Jody and I went to check it out.

Sure enough there was one of the chickens that the dog had taken.  A LOT worse for wear, but surviving.  It has a bad foot and is pretty banged up, but there she was hiding under a hoop skirt jasmine.  Those plants are really dense, so she must have gotten loose from the dog somehow and taken shelter under that plant.  She must have been able to get around a little bit because otherwise Randy would not have seen her in the yard.

We got her home and put her in the coop.  She cannot roost because of her bad foot, but she was able to get into one of the nesting boxes and that was a good sign.  I went out and checked on her about an hour later and she had laid an egg.  I went out about an hour later and she was out of the nesting box in the corner of the coop and of course Vera was pecking on her (hence the pecking order) and I put her back in the nesting box.  After dark, I checked on her again, and she was back on the floor of the coop and the other chickens were on the roosts, so I left her there and put some food down by her and a little dish of water.  I think if she makes in the next two or three days, she will be okay.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, STRONG CHICKENS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment