Sunday, February 17, 2013

2013 - Day 48/317 - Sunday...

As usual, there was a lot to do today, even though I stayed in the bed until 7:30.  SLUG!  When I did get up, Jody was working on a crossword puzzle, and I made myslef some coffee and went out to get the paper and let the girls loose.  After breakfast, the three of us (me, Jody and the Boy Dog) went for a walk down the road.  I got off to a late start, and took this photo of Jody and the Boy.  I love these kinds of pictures, although it does seem like the subjects are kind of sad and lonely, but I don't really that that is the case.  I think of it more accurately as a study in appreciation of a simpler life.  We all kind of relish the peace and quiet of the days.

Miguel came by this morning, and he helped me get a lot of work done.  We got the cows fed, we went and retrieved the air show from Vince and it is out there whirly-gigging itself into a stupor.  We have had really strong winds all day today, and I am not sure when the winds are supposed to die down, if ever.  It was a moderate temperature day, starting off kind of chilly but warming up into the middle 60's.  Here is photo number two of the three new calves that were born recently.  I think one was born about 10 to 14 days ago, and two of them were born in the last 7 days.  This is the calf that I think was born early last week.  Stay tuned tomorrow for a photo of the calf I think was the most recently born.  Oh, and by the way, this Mama cow is pretty impressive as longhorns go, and I would not advise you mess with her...she is VERY PROTECTIVE of her baby!

The main task was to get the cows fed.  After that, we greased the tractor, putzed around here and there doing this and that.  Oh, we also got the grass cut up by the road, and repaired and replaced a bunch of the solar powered landscaping lights.

As I putzed around more doing as little of this and that as I could, I noticed this Iris blooming.  It has a little bit of protection from the wind, so it has not been totally beaten up.  It still has several buds on it too, so it should be blooming for another couple days.  We were worried that the frost that was threatened the last couple nights would harm this one, but it seems to have survived beautifully.

I am getting ready to plant more morning glory seeds.  I found some blood red ones, and I have never seen any red morning glories before.  I will give them a shot and see what happens.  I hope we get a little more rain this year than we have in the past few years, nothing is better for morning glories than natural rain water.  Tap water just doesn't cut it!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, PUTZING, Kinenesses, Whirled Peas (Shannon), FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment