Sunday, July 21, 2013

2013 - Day 202/163 - Sunday...

Totally useless (but informative) trivia for the day:  A single 1,000 pound cow produces ten tons of manure per year.  For all you Aggies out there, that's 20,000 pounds of crap!  And that explains a lot!

I should know better than to sit at the breakfast table (minding my own business) and gaze out the window towards the cattle pastures.  I was looking at what I thought was Orchid back in the field, and thought that the sunrise was making her look really dark.  Then I noticed her walk past the shed out there, and she was on THIS SIDE of the shed.  Then I noticed a red tag in her ear, and decided we had a visiting cow back there.  I put on some pants and shoes and went back there.  Our cattle were all in the far south pastures, and this wayward bull calf was doing everything he could to get in there with them.  He was really spooked, so it was not worth it to get too close to him.  Upon consultation, it was determined that the calf did not belong to Hubert and Pauline, and I knew it was not one of Randy and Irene's, but we all determined it was one of the big Schwertner operation calves. 

That was about seven o'clock this morning, and by about 9:30 they had sent a young man out to survey the situation.  To make a long story short, the two of us (I expect I was at least three times older than this man) got that calf from one pasture to the next, aggravating our cattle all along the way.  The calf broke through two sets of fences, and finally on the third set, one of his back legs got caught in the fence and he was pretty well immobilized.  That got Mr. Speckles all riled up and all of our other cattle were a little agitated, but the man got the calf all hog-tied (my job was to sit on the calves head and keep my one hand over his eye so he could not see anything) and then we got him in the trailer and life was relatively calm after that.  There is/was much more to it, but there is no real need to bore you all to tears.  I do wish I had a picture of me sitting on the head of that calf, but that will be another day.

Before all this happened (and while I was waiting for the calf rescue service) I did get the chicken coop cleaned out.  The roosters are still here, I hope their fate will be a little bit clearer after tonight.  I am tired of watching one (or both of them) trying to dominate the hens, and I know the hens will not miss them at all.  We are getting very few eggs, and we don't know if it is because of the heat or if it is because of all the 'attention' they are getting from the roosters.  BUT, I do not want the roosters, so it will be good when they are gone.

After all the excitement, I also got the cattle fed, and everyone is back to normal and if you were to look back there now, it all just looks very calm and idyllic.

I need to get back to work tomorrow so I can get some rest.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, LOOSE LIVESTOCK, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment