Saturday, January 18, 2014

2014 - Day 18/347 - Saturday...

Even though it is Saturday, I was up (relatively) early this morning.  I needed to be at a 7:45 class in Georgetown, so I was up (I think) by about 5:30.  I made it to Georgetown with 15 minutes to spare, but that is pretty typical for me.  I was taking the instruction part of the Texas Concealed Handgun License training.  The lecture and testing part of the class was interesting with the possible exception of the attempted brainwashing and proselytizing and the other awkward parts that I did not laugh at (and interestingly I was sitting next to the only other guy in the room that was not laughing) and the video parts of idiots shooting themselves in the thighs, calves, feet and other bleedy parts was pretty darned interesting.  The videos of Barney Fife were pretty good too, but I think the parts where idiots were making themselves (and sometimes others) bleed were the most interesting.  I made 100% on the 25 question true/false/multiple choice test.

Then we were off to the shooting range to prove competency with a weapon.  I have weapons, but up until today I have never shot a weapon (if you do not count pellet guns and stuff like that).  I used to tag along with my father when he would go pheasant hunting when we lived in Michigan, but I never shot a gun.  SO, I was fully expecting that I would be right up there with the idiots inflicting great pain to fleshy and delicate parts of my anatomy and I was getting a little bit nervous.  When I finally admitted that I had never shot a gun, ALL THE IDIOTS (except for the guy next to me and my friend Kerry and her daughter Ellyn) thought that this was the most interesting thing they had ever heard.  At the shooting range, I was 'adopted' by a juvenile former army person (who, incidentally had child bearing hips) who would load my magazine for me and offer advice like 'put yourself in a happy place' before stepping back out of the line of fire.  We fired a total of 50 rounds (I think that is a technical term for bullet) and each round was worth five points.  I scored 232 out of 250 which is almost a 93% for my first time to fire a gun.  I definitely could have hurt someone with a score like that.  Here is a photo to commemorate the event.  This is a side of me that folks SELDOM get to see, so I hope you all enjoy it.  On Tuesday I go to get fingerprinted (again) and that should do it.  I will let you know when the license comes.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, SHOOTING, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment