Thursday, March 20, 2014

2014 - Day 79/286 - Thursday...

At 11:57 AM spring arrived.  It was a lovely day in Austin and the surrounds, should be nice again tomorrow, and then it is forecast to rain all weekend long.  Perfect.  Oh if only it were true, April showers bring May flowers.

I made it in to the office on time (for me anyway) this morning, and that was taking into consideration an upside-down 18-wheeler on a bridge over IH-35 in Georgetown (way too close to home to begin having traffic issues) and another 18-wheeler that somehow jumped a guard rail and ended up partly on the service road, partly on the Interstate, jack-knifed with all the windows blown out.  An interesting day.  Oh yes, and as I mentioned earlier on FaceBook (damn you FaceBook), today was the day that everyone was supposed to make sure the horns in their vehicles were working as intended.  And I think they all passed the test!

When I pulled in the parking lot this is what I was greeted by, a 1950 Studebaker that REEKED of leaking gasoline.  I can remember a time when all the cars smelled like leaking gasoline.  It is not something I smell that often (save for when I am filling it up), but it certainly brought back some things I had not thought about in a while.  It looked to be in pretty much original condition, and it was really fun to look around at it.  Studebaker's were cool, and the Studebaker plant was operated by George Romney (Mitt's daddy) in (I think) Wisconsin before he closed it down and moved operations to the Detroit area.  That was not a happy day as I recall.

But what, you might ask, does that have to do with Spring time, horns honking or 18-wheeler truck accidents?  And I offer you this reply:  Not a damn thing.  And if I am guilty of some historical errors, I really don't care.  Most of it is correct.  I might be a little testy because I am just finishing the latest book, Bring Up the Bodies, and it has taken almost an hour to behead Ann Boleyn in a relatively graphic manner.  That has nothing to do with horns either, just in case you are keeping score.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, HORNS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment