Sunday, August 9, 2020

Volume 12 - Day 222/144, 2020 - Sunday

Yesterday when I took hay to the cattle, I surveyed the remains of Violet, and brought her skull up to the house. She has a little bit more drying out to do, but eventually we will hang her up on a wall, most likely out on the front barn, facing the road. When we had the place in Red Rock, we started out with three head of cattle: Mr. Speckles, Daphne and Orchid. Violet was our first calf, the spawn of Speckles and Daphne. I remember very clearly when I first saw her. Daphne had taken her into a wooded part of the property, a pretty secluded place, and it took me a while to find them, but I did. I still run across the photos every now and then. Violet was always a small cow, but she had always been a really good mama, and it is kind of sad that she died giving birth, but that is what happens in nature. We had a calf die when we first moved here, and we went to a lot of trouble burying the calf. It was YEARS before grass would grow where we buried that calf, so now, if/when something happens, we just leave it to the coyotes and the vultures, and pretty soon all there is is a scattered pile of bones. I got all my shopping done, and was successful on most of the items I was looking for. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and got two air purifiers, the only two they had. The girls and I are living for the most part in the bedroom and the bathroom, and it smells like a boy and two dogs. The air purifiers can't hurt, so there they are. I got the Idea because we have tow of them in the office, and everyone seems to think they help, so only time will tell. The chicken coop got cleaned, and the trash cans are up CLOSE to the road. It is so windy, I am not actually going to put them out on the road until tomorrow morning, just to make sure they don't blow over.

No comments:

Post a Comment