Monday, July 15, 2024

Volume 16 - Day 197/169, 2024 - Monday

Well, I can't figure out how to log my steps on my Apple Watch, but there have been plenty each day since I got here last Thursday. This morning, we were up a little bit earlier than I had hoped, and we caught the train to Arles at 7:38. Trains here (TGV) run on time and arrive on time, it is fascinating. We got to Arles about 10:15, and we took a pedi-cab into the center of the city. First things first, I bought a t-shirt and a Van Gogh print. Now I just have to worry about getting the print back without damaging it. I have a plan, yes I do. The, we visited one of the Coliseums (there are more than one, here), then the Cloisters, and walked around the city. We had lunch at what had been a hospital that Van Gogh had been in, and then we went to the Van Gogh Foundation. It is not a place full of artwork by Van Gogh, but more of a place that showcases works of new artists, something that Van Gogh was never able to achieve during his lifetime. There are three original works of Van Gogh's at the Foundation, and it literally made my day to see Starry Night up close and personal. And I mean up close. I could have touched it if I had wanted to be arrested. I have been on my best behavior while I am here, mainly because they have no bail system, and I just don't want to chance it. Apparently, Vincent painted similar subject time-and-again. He painted this one in Arles in September of 1888. There is another (The) Starry Night at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Just saying. This painting (the one I saw) was donated to the Foundation by a private donor in 1975. We returned to Avignon by train, had a bit of a rest, and had a very nice dinner at a restaurant that is owned by an old woman. Rumor has it she is very aware of all the oddities contained inside the restaurant, and I would have happily made myself a few gifts if no one was looking. But, then again, there is the bail issue. Tomorrow we are going to Nimes to see one of the segments of the Tour de France, and I think that will be pretty cool. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment