Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day Two Hundred Sixty Seven...

This do in memory of Hellen (with 2 l's). Today was my day to deliver Meals-on-Wheels, and as I predicted, it was indeed raining. The rain made the delivery from the main kitchen to our satellite pick-up spot delayed, so there were lots of us there when the van arrived. We were all having a good time, talking about the weather and solving the problems of the world, twice or three times! I have been delivering Meals-on-Wheels since 1997, and I really enjoy it...unfortunately, sometimes you lose track of your clients, and sometimes they just disappear and you have no idea what has become of them. Earlier this week (or maybe it was the weekend) I read that one of my clients had passed away. I don't remember her age, and it was a very short obituary, but there she was, and I had been delivering to her for about two or three years, ever since I switched my route from mid-town Austin to a more south location. I remember the last time I saw her, she was sitting in her wheel chair, smiling and nodding her head, but she had nothing to say. That is a nice way for me to remember her. She looked happy and at peace. Meals-on-Wheels is a good thing to do, and a nice way to spend an hour or two of your day once a week or so. You ought to think about it.

It was raining again today, and we have about another third of an inch of rain in the gauge. It seems to be pretty dry here at the house, but it rained most of the day in Austin. I think they are predicting a 10% chance of rain tomorrow, and then just plain cloudy for a couple days...I don't think there is a big rain event in the seven day forecast. We need a little time to dry out and take care of some things, and then we will be ready for more rain.

Our telephones, Internet connections and cable connections were hit and miss today. They were out, then back, then out again. I think that is the big part about why the office was so quiet today. If nobody can get in touch with you, it makes for a quiet day! I left the office about 10 minutes before 4, and the service was still out. I have connected in to my office computer from home, so things seem to be working again. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Traffic was about what you would expect for crazy people driving in the rain today, nothing better, nothing worse. I had one appointment today, and that turned out nicely, and I have another appointment on the books for tomorrow afternoon. So far, the weekend looks open, and that will be nice. There are a few things we need to get taken care of at the house.

Deeds...Better Place...Kindnesses...Good Words...Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment