Sunday, July 4, 2010

2010 - Day One Hundred Eighty Five...

PEAS, PEAS, PEAS! Oh, wait, was that my out loud voice? What I meant to say was, Happy Fourth of July everyone! I will get to the peas later. I hope everyone has had as wonderful a day as we have, it has been truly fabulous, in our quiet farm kind of way. More below.

The day started off nicely, and we read the paper and had kolaches for breakfast. I got a few chores done (more later) and Jody and I headed into Austin so I could run a couple errands. On the way home, we (again) stopped at Dairy Queen for spoilers, and I have to tell you, toady's experience was considerably more satisfactory than the sorry experience yesterday with the Pecan Pie Blizzard. I will build a bridge and get over that in another couple of days, but for now the pain is still too fresh for me to let it go. Whatever...

Okay, so this morning, before Jody and I left for Austin, I moved the cattle into the other pasture, and moved their troughs to the new pasture as well. Did not feed them, since they were busy going to town on the green grass in the new pasture, and so that will just save feed for another time. They much prefer green to cattle cubes, although when I put out the cubes for them, you would think they were starving. This is a photo of four of the five calves we have (Patrick and his new calf are still at camp, we thing, hope we got a photo of that), and their daddy, Mr. Speckles. I am pretty sure we will have at least one more calf this year, I am pretty sure that Doodle Bug is pregnant.

After moving the cattle, I went out and cleaned out the chicken coop, gave them fresh feed and fresh water.

When we got back to the house, Jody went down for a nap, and I turned on the television and started shelling black eyed peas. After Jody woke up, I went outside and cut some of the grass. While cutting the grass, I had a wonderful realization: I discovered that 'cutting at' the grass is almost exactly the same thing as 'cutting' the grass, except that 'cutting at' the grass is not burdened with all the anxiety and trauma of making sure the grass is perfectly cut. Not by a long shot! So, I think I might 'cut at' some more grass tomorrow, just to see if my theory holds true.

After the grass 'cutting at', Jody and I both jumped in the pool. Very pleasant, a little cooler than it had been the last time we were in, but we have had cloudy days for the last week, so that is understandable. After that, we decided to go into Round Rock for dinner at Fire Bowl. We went early, since they were closing today at 7 o'clock in honor of the Fourth.

When we got home, I went out and fed the chickens, and then I sat in front of the television again and shelled peas some more. That makes three times today I shelled peas, and we are about two-thirds of the way finished. Hopefully we can knock out the rest of the peas tomorrow.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, PEAS (and a Happy Fourth), Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment