Monday, July 5, 2010

2010 - Day One Hundred Eighty Six...

Okay, I am not 100% certain about this, but I am pretty darn sure that WE are the only people that would go to the trouble of building a gymboree for the chickens. I say WE only because Jody did not stop me from doing it, so he is implicated in the act. Whatever... Anyway, the chickens seem to enjoy the effort, and they are happily climbing up (they can almost fly up but not quite) and down on the pvc pipe I nailed up for them.

We got all the peas shelled, and at some point Jody will blanch (sp?) and freeze them. They are really too precious to eat! I told Pauline we were going to build another wing onto the house and just put the peas on display. Shelling peas is a time consuming job, and it gives you sore fingers, too. BUT, we have several quarts of peas that will be delightful later on.

Random photo number one...it is a beautiful day, and what can be more lovely than flags, beautiful blue skies with beautiful clouds, and just a hint of crepe myrtles? Not a lot!

I planted three Hibisci for Jody later in the morning, and after we did that, we headed off to Taylor, where gas is really cheap (it is about 30 cents a gallon cheaper than other towns). I needed a few things from Tractor Supply, and Jody wanted to do a little bit of grocery shopping. Of course, we had to hit the Dairy Queen for spoilers, and when we got home from that, Jody took a nap. I had every intention of napping, but Pauline and Hubert were out in the back getting one of their pieces of equipment, so I went back there and had a nice visit with them. Wonderful neighbors.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also worked the bees this morning, and I am kind of disappointed to note that only two of the five hives are producing honey right now, and not at the rate that we were expecting them to produce. I hope next year will be better for the honey production. We shall see...

It was more or less a nice calm day, and I did not go into the office, we were taking the day off. This week should be kind of calm, and I will be teaching a class all day on Thursday. FUN!

Random photo number two: a nice shot of more blue sky, clouds and wind turbines spinning away making electricity! BEAUTY!

I also almost forgot to mention that our electricity went out last night about 10 o'clock, and stayed our for a couple hours. Ordinarily it would be no big deal, we would just sleep through it, but our freakin' smoke detectors started chirping and they would not quit, so I did not really sleep comfortably last night. What a pain. No idea why the power went out, and it is not a common occurrence here. Our power goes out much less here than it did in Austin.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, BLUE SKIES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment