Saturday, July 17, 2010

2010 - Day One Hundred Ninety Eight...

More sturdy stands the bowing reed than doth the mighty oak. - Shakespeare (Maybe).

Whatever... I cannot believe how schedules and lists of things to accomplish today just all went to hell. Nothing went as it was planned. Okay, well some of it really was not that important, BUT I had intended to accomplish a lot more today than actually got accomplished.

After the morning routines, I went outside and started picking figs. By the time I got out there, the lawn maintenance folks were here and were happily pulling (PULL THEM don't just cut them off with a shovel) weeds. Okay, maybe not happily, but they were doing it anyway. I took the figs over to Pauline, and she went right to work separating the figs from REALLY ripe to just plain ripe. She asked how many jars of fig jelly and fig preserves we wanted, and I told her a couple of each would do, and she doesn't think that is enough. ANYWAY, she and Hubert and I talked for a while, and then I was back to the house.

I started cutting the grass, and that got stopped because Hubert had come over to help me with the tractor. Since he had cut and baled hay yesterday, I needed to get the bales moved out of the pasture and put into storage. ANYWAY, that was all taken care of and so I started moving bales of hay.

BUT, before that could happen, the guys showed up to install our fireplace insert. Which did not work, and it was kind of a comedy of errors. ANYWAY, after four to five hours of doing stuff (during which time I moved half of the hay and was tired) they took the insert we had purchased back to the store, and we went in to figure out exactly what kind of insert of 'hearth mounted' wood heater would work for us. I will show you photos when it finally gets installed (no target date yet), but it should be in the next week or so. This is the photo of how things look in the living room right now. What do you think? Kind of more contemporary than what we really had in mind. Whatever.

As long as we were in Georgetown at the Fireplace place, we decided to stop at Dairy Queen for a spoiler, and when we got home, I moved the rest of the hay, closed off the FAR BACK pasture so the cows cannot escape, and opened up the gates so they can once again access the back pasture. If you open a gate, they will come. There is not really that much difference from one pasture to another, but they had not been back in that pasture all day, so it was like a new experience for them. When I was in third grade, our teacher wrote on every single students report card that the child in question was 'very curious' about most things. Throughout the day, she would tell us repeatedly that what that really meant was that we were all 'just too darn nosey for our own goods'. That was back in the late 50's, before Xanax and Valium were the wonder drugs of elementary school teachers everywhere. I only bring this up because I have discovered that our cattle are 'very curious' as well. I knew I would finally make a point if I was just given enough time.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CURIOUS CATTLE, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment