Sunday, December 12, 2010

2010 - Day Three Hundred Forty Six...

There is always something good that comes from cleaning out the garage, sheds and barns. Personally, we have a better inventory of all the crap we have, and we have actually made some areas for an actual work shop area (just in case we decide to make a coffee table or a set of book-ends), and we have an area where I can work the bees and gather honey and keep all the bee supplies. All the farm chemicals are now back in the feed barn (closer to where they may be needed). I can actually get my car into the garage and open the door sufficiently so I do not have to SQUEEZE out the door. We are much better organized have much more room, have contributed greatly to the local (or maybe distant) landfills and overall we are just happy with the progress we have made. BUT, the best thing is I found my old ski-hat (not that I ever was adapt at standing up on slippery surfaces with sticks attached to my feet). I was not that good (okay, I never played) tennis either, but I thought I looked pretty darn good with tennis shorts and a pink Izod shirt. Whatever...the hat is back, and it will be seen in public before long!

We went into Georgetown solely for the purpose of having a spoiler, in celebration of a job well done. I have no idea what all the other spoiler celebrations were, but the folks at the Georgetown Dairy Queen get pretty ferklempt (sp) if I change my order, which I have been doing pretty frequently. ANYWAY... When we got home from Georgetown, Jody went down for a nap and I went out and fed the cattle, put out a fresh bale of hay for them, cleaned the chicken coop and gave the chickens fresh water. Everyone (in the farm animal division) is pretty darned happy right now. This is a photo of the 'former bull calf' which is in the process of becoming a steer calf, little sleepy. He is gonna be a pretty one, and will be someone for Mr. Speckles to play with!

Earlier in the day, we took a dozen-and-a-half eggs to both Randy and Irene and to Pauline and Hubert. We are still getting plenty of eggs, five eggs today from the girls, just short of three dozen for the week. Yes Virginia, the cold weather has somewhat cut back on the production, but there are still plenty to go around.

We went back into Georgetown for dinner tonight. We have been twice now to the 'Montana Mike's' steakhouse and find it most acceptable. Very good steaks, especially considering that we bring enough home with us to have another complete meal. Tonight we both had the Kansas City Strip steak (14 oz) and I had a skewer of broiled shrimp as well. Shared the shrimp with Jody and we were both happy. The cocktail sauce with the shrimp had a good bit of horseradish in it, and it was delightful.

It is going to get pretty cold tonight, supposed to be 29* in Austin so that should be several degrees colder here. I finally decided to put the covering on the outside water faucets, went and turned off the water to the cattle and drained the pipes to keep from freezing. Tomorrow night the low temperature is supposed to be in the forties, so we have not had terribly cold weather for very long periods of time so far this year. Don't mind it cooling off, but freezing overnight temperatures is not something I really care for over long periods.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, BELOW FREEZING, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment