Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 - Day Three Hundred Sixty Five...

Today is the last day of the year. We are all ready for the new. On this day of reflection, you will not find me proselytizing but instead sharing a prayer of sorts from the Sixteenth Century, somewhere around 1513 to be exact.

In 1513, Fra Giovanni wrote a letter - what we would now consider a Christmas card - to a friend and patron, containing a Christmas prayer. I am copying the prayer here for you all to consider. I have substituted the words 'New Year' for Fra's original words 'Christmas time', but I believe it to be just as effective. I hope you enjoy it.

I salute you! There is nothing I can give you which you have not; but there is much that, while I cannot give, you can take.

No heaven can come to us unless our hearts find rest in it today. Take Heaven.

No peace lies in the future which is not hidden in the present moment. Take Peace.

The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take Joy!

And so, at this New Year, I greet you, with the prayer that for you, now and forever, the day breaks and the shadows flee away.


My best wishes to you all for the New Year.

Bill...

No comments:

Post a Comment