Sunday, May 22, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Forty Two; Sunday...

Well, since we live FAR OUT in the country, it was touch and go for a while. For all we knew, we could have been the only ones left, and the world as we knew it actually could have ended yesterday, and we might just not have been aware of it yet. We got up this morning, and after my chores, I went into Schwertner and got a couple bags of ice. There were a couple people at the Crossroads, and then a little later, I went into Round Rock and picked up Bar-B-Cue and there was evidence of more people. I was a little concerned because traffic on IH-35 was not really bad, so I still had some thoughts that all the good drivers had been called home. Still not sure, I will let you know what I think after I drive into Austin tomorrow.

A nice day today, although it is VERY WARM and VERY HUMID. We had some friends out to the house this afternoon, and it was a really nice time for all of us. It was the first time we had seen Shane in a good long while, and the first time I got me meet his wife and children. The cattle all got fed, and many of us got cow-slobbered on, so that was good. It entertains me that many people have never had an up-close-and-personal experience with cows and bulls. I am by no means an expert, but I had cousins when I was a kid and we used to visit them at their farms.

We did get a little bit of rain last night, about 3/10 of an inch, but we will take what we can get. I went through 16 pounds of sugar this morning making bee juice, and that should hold me through Tuesday. I hope HEB has sugar on sale this week, I will stock up.

The morning glories are doing nicely, and they may well be th emost expensive morning glories of all time. At least I was able to finally outsmart the chickens and keep them from scratching them up. I even have some blooms on a couple cantaloupe and watermelon plants. That will be nice if we get a few melons off those this season. The grape vines are doing nicely, but I do not expect them to fruit this year. The four o'clocks are also thriving this year, after having done pretty much nothing last year. I love the perfume that wafts from the four o'clocks, wonderful!

The chickens area all happy, and they got an extra portion of petting this afternoon with our friends visiting. We have one black and white that has decided to live the rest of its' life in the nesting box. Not sure if I should be worried about it on not. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, it is just staying in the box. I will call my friend at Buck Moore Feeds tomorrow and see if that is any kind of a symptom. This is a photo of one of the Vera's just in from the chicken cam. I love the chicken cam photos, they are always a lot of fun.

I am really looking forward to the three day weekend next weekend. Three days of working around the farm, I hope. There is plenty to get done, and that will be as good a time to do it as any.

My schedule in the office is pretty open this week, that is a great thing as well.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CHICKEN CAM, Kindnesses, World Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment