Sunday, May 8, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Twenty Eight; Sunday...

I think that I shall never see,
A weed as lovely as a bee.
Forgive me as I stand here cryin',
I think I see another dandelion!
Over in the corner I cringe and bristle,
I can't believe it's another thistle.
A little peace before I kick the bucket,
Took off my gloves and said 'just f**k it!'

So, pretty much the weeds are never ending, but you knew that already. Again, for every weed that I yank out by the roots, there are a dozen more that are only defoliated. I have it in my head that there is a chance that even that shallow attempt will interrupt the seeding cycle, and maybe there will be less weeds next year. Whatever...

I got up this morning and did my daily chores, and fed the bees. I think I have another hive in DEEP JEOPARDY. I am pretty certain they have been invaded by wax moths, and I expect I will lose that hive. BUT after clearing a path for them today, they drank ALL of their simple syrup. I will eye-ball it tomorrow morning before I leave, but there is really nothing I can do at this point, it will be next weekend before I can take any major steps.

Many of you know I do not go anywhere without a camera (a habit I really took to heart when I began this journal). AND I am old-fashioned, I do not use the camera in my phone very often to post on this journal. One of these days I will figure out a simple way to get photos from the phone to the computer, but for now... ANYWAY, while Jody and I were at Dairy Queen today, there was this truck parked in the What-A-Burger parking lot, and this photo shows two things that I really like. The Dairy Queen sign and dead things. Okay, well the Dairy Queen sign and horns of things that were formerly alive. Whatever....

BY POPULAR DEMAND I am presenting this photo of the mystery pop. If any of you claim to be experts on scat, have a field day with this one. It cannot be too exotic, or it would not be back there by the barn. I am still going to stick with my initial idea that is is the poop of a coyote (I know for sure it is not deer poop). But, whatever it is, the beast is consistent. I am not sure why they think this is such a good place to poop, but then again, I have my own favorite pooping places, so I guess it is not that unusual. What is unusual is a discussion of pooping habits in the northern hemisphere. SPEAKING OF THE ROYAL WEDDING, I understand that Queen Elizabeth has actually stopped to poop on occasion (and what an occasion it must have been!). Who Knew?

I think I am pretty much ready for my 'hick goes to the big city' tour, starting tomorrow. I am really not a big city kind of guy, I am happy to stay ensconced in the country, and let others go. When I lived and worked in New Orleans, we had a saying that you could always tell a tourist because they are always looking up and falling down. That will be me this week. AND of course, I saw on the news last night that President Obama will be in Austin on Tuesday. Talk about a complex. I go to DC and the President vacates the place. But, it will be fun, I have started packing and I am already looking forward to getting home.

I went out and checked on the cattle earlier this afternoon, and all is well. They are happy with the move to the other pasture, and they should be happy eating green grass for most of this week. Next week they will have gone through most of the grass, and they will be back on whatever they can find supplemented with hay. I will most likely feed them next weekend as well. Hopefully, that can be accomplished without letting escape.

It is HOT here, and we finally submitted to turning the air conditioner on. Not so much because of the heat, really the humidity makes it uncomfortable to sleep. Just about 7 in the evening right now, and the nuclear powered weather stations (both of them) reporting the temperatures in the mid-90's. Just the beginning of May for goodness sakes.

I expect next weeks posts to be very urban and cosmopolitan. I wonder if I can pull it off?

Deeds, Actions, Changes, DEAD THINGS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment