Saturday, May 14, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Thirty Two*; Thursday...

*It was not my fault! The Blogger Site (part of the Google Kingdom) was in a 'read-only' state on Thursday and Friday. This entry and the entry for tomorrow (actually yesterday) goes into the record books with an '*', because it was not my fault. I tried to add an entry, but I could not, so I am not counting this entry or tomorrow's entry (actually yesterdays entry) as having missed a day. It makes perfectly good sense to me, and I hope it does to you!

Today was a relatively civilized day in Washington, and it started off with a nice (free) continental breakfast at my Hotel. After that, I took a cab to the group meet-up site (the subway entrance) and we all headed to the Capitol, actually to the Cannon Office Building once again. This is a photo of something you rarely see, the men's room on the fourth floor. I am happy to provide you with documentation of little known (or documented) sites around our nations capital.

And this is a photo of exactly what is wrong (okay one of MANY things) with our country. Who do you think ever thought this up? There is a plaque outside every stairwell (and elevator site) in this building that reads 'Internal Relocation Site'. That is Washington-Speak for 'Stairwell'. I guess if it was a fire escape on the outside of the building, it would say 'External Relocation Site'. I think these plaques should say 'Open Door to See the Stairs'.

The morning visit was to meet with Congressman John Carter, and there were about 15 of us from central Texas there to meet and speak with him about REALTOR and property owner issues.

Afterwards, we had a four hour break before we were to meet with Congressman Lloyd Doggett, so a group of us went to have lunch, and it was a wonderful, stress-free affair, and a god time was had by all. It was an Italian restaurant, and of course I had the open faced burger and when it was delivered, I asked for ketchup, and there was no ketchup in the place. They did not even have any catsup. WHAT'S-UP with that? I bet my request for that particular condiment was not the first one they had ever received, but you never know. Whatever... Anyway, this is the photo to document our luncheon on that day, the names of the attendees have been changed to protect the innocent.

Our next meeting with Congressman Doggett was supposed to be at 4:30, and the meeting time (and place) were changed at (pretty much) the last minute. So, there was a series of e-mails and text-messages trying to get everyone corralled to the new meeting place at the new time. This is a photo of Socar and me in front of the Capitol under a lovely big shade tree where we were going to meet with the Congressman. I am telling you, meeting outside on a beautiful day was much more fun than meeting inside a building that was stuffy and warm (okay NOT). The weather was beautiful all week in Washington, so that made it very nice to be outside and enjoying the day.

The Congressman was preceded to our meeting by his Congressional Aid, a very nice young man. Once the Congressman showed up, we enjoyed a nice long chat with him, we presented our concerns to him, and he was pretty up to date with all the points we were interested in promoting. I had met the Congressman a couple times before, and he has always lent his ear to us and listened to our concerns. A very nice guy. This is a photo of the Congressman with part of our group, enjoying the conversation and the beautiful spring day in our nations capital. I never know EXACTLY when it is Capitol vs. Capital. Work with me...

During the day, I had called Jody several times, and found out it was raining in Austin. We actually got 1.75 inches of rain at the farm, LOVELY. And, it is supposed to col down next week and be kind of like springtime in Austin. I cannot wait to get back home!

After we met with Congressman Doggett, a group of us headed to the TUNE INN which was recommended to me by my business partner (work-wife) Carrie. We decided to walk, but we were heading to Pennsylvania NW and the Inn was located on Pennsylvania SE, so that caused some issues. We passed by a site with lots of DC Policemen and there entourages, and it was reported that there was a suspicious car found and they had K9's sniffing for bombs. The Policeman (from New Jersey) we talked with told us all about K9's and that they are trained to 'SIT' if there is a problem. The guy told us to 'run like hell' if we ever saw a bomb-sniffing dog sit while they were checking out something, and to do our best to avoid the 'pink-mist'. I will explain that to you individually if you would like me to, this is a family journal.

We ended up at the TUNE INN and had a couple drinks and appetizers, and then we all headed back to the subway, and went our separate ways. I walked from the subway to my Hotel and ended up walking about ten blocks further than I needed to because I did not know WHERE IN THE HELL I WAS exactly, but I did not get too far off course. It was nice to see the city, it is a beautiful place, lushly green and blooming. I am certain I was not to far from other sites, and I am sure that for all the good I saw, there were equal amount of the bad and the ugly.

Tomorrow I head for home, and I am really looking forward to that!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, PINK MIST, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment