Thursday, June 20, 2013

2013 - Day 171/194 - Thursday...

Useless trivia for today:  The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

His name was 'Lucky'...

Last night as I was writing my journal entry, I looked up to see a bird fly up into a tree out by the road.  We are always kind of vigilant for hawks or other birds of prey discovering the plethora of chicks and chickens around here, and I think we have lost a girl or two to them (along with one cat, but that is a whole different story).  So, I decided to go out and see if a bird had gotten hold of one of the girls, and lo-and-behold it was one of the girls herself in the tree.  This is one of the Crested Polish, solid black (as opposed of a couple others that are black and gold speckled).  One of the other Crested Polish is the cause of the angry scabs (note the plural form of the word) on my left leg.  A couple nights ago I was putting the girls to bed and noticed one of them ON TOP OF their outside pen.  SO, I climbed up on one of the smaller coops to put her to bed properly and promptly fell from my perch and let loose with a litany of adjectives on the way down.  DISCLAIMER:  No chickens were hurt in the production of the various oozing scabs on my leg.

I had eight folks on my Meals-On-Wheels route this morning, and one of them was not at home.  Whenever someone is not at home, the next client us generally happy to have an extra meal.  Everyone was pretty happy to see me, so that was good, and all of them look to be doing well and are pretty comfortable.  My friend Steve who is a meal facilitator at another pick-up point reported one of his volunteers was retiring after 10 years.  I think Steve has been volunteering with MOWAM for almost 20 years if not more, and I have been volunteering for 16 or 17 years, I think.  A good while, anyway...

Tomorrow will be a busy day, and I have lots of territory to cover.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, SCABS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment