Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Volume 14 - Day 152/213, 2022 - Wednesday

In one hour, the earth receives 173,000 Terawatts (TWh) of energy from the sun. In 2017, humanity (that means all the earthlings) consumed 160,000 Terawatts of energy. This total energy consumed by humanity (see above) in 2017 includes not just energy used to generate electricity but also energy used. There are two different ways of generating electricity from sunlight. One is to concentrate the Sun's energy using mirrors onto a small area, using the heat generated to produce steam to turn a turbine which generates electricity. The other is to use arrays of photovoltaic cells (solar panels) to generate electricity directly from sunlight, and stored in a battery. That was a long road just to tell you that I am pretty happy with the $8 outdoor garden lights I have bought from Home Depot. So far, I have no complaints about them, and the total I spent is about a gazillion dollars less than I would have spent with wired garden lights or hiring an electrician to do the job properly. PLUS, I could do it with no help from anyone else, especially somebody's thirteen year old grandkid. Whatever. We had a trace of rain this morning, which meant we could do our morning walk in-between the drops of rain. In to the office, met with a couple folks, back home with no issues, and nobody got hurt. I will run a couple errands tomorrow, go in to the office, and I am thinking I will do my zoom meetings on Friday from home. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment