Thursday, June 2, 2022

Volume 14 - Day 153/212, 2022 - Thursday

The Queen (Elizabeth II) succeeded to the Throne on February 6, 1952, after the death of her father, King George VI. She was in Kenya at the time, and became the first Sovereign in over 200 years to accede while abroad. The Queen's grandmother, Queen Mary, was 81 years old at the time, and was the first Queen to see a grandchild ascend to the throne. So...the Queen is celebrating her 70th anniversary this week. Many times, when I mention Jody's wife or mother-in-law, they are surprised that Jody had been married. His wife was Helen, and she died in the middle 80's, I think. Jody's mother-in-law (Wilma) outlived Helen, and she and Jody had a very nice relationship. Wilma had died before Jody and I met. The photo that accompanies this journal entry is a souvenir that I believe Wilma brought back from attending the Coronation of QEII in 1952. It was HOT this morning when we walked, but when I went back outside with the dogs before leaving for Austin, a cold front had come through, the temperature dropped about 10 degrees, and the humidity dropped substantially. It was lovely. Right now, it is about 87 degrees, which is close to what it was overnight here in central Texas. I'm working from home tomorrow, that is the plan anyway. I thought my 10 o'clock zoom call was scheduled to end at 1:30, but I just looked and it is over at noon. SO...maybe I will drive in, maybe not. We will see how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment