Sunday, June 19, 2022

Volume 14 - Day 170/195, 2022 - Father's Day

Plumeria (called Frangipani in Australia, and whenever I can remember it) are tropical flowering plants with over 300 species, native to Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean and South America. And the Curious House. They are related to the Oleander, and their milky sap is poisonous and may irritate the skin and eyes. I didn't know that! I have been trying to grow Plumeria for at least ten years, and some years are better than others. I have had really tall plumeria, but they suffered greatly during the snowmageddon of 2021. Or was it 2020? I really don't remember, but I think it was 2021. That was just last year, and that seems odd. Whatever. This year, I transplanted all the plumeria that I had left into one pot, and they are more bushy than tree like. They seem to be doing nicely, and there are some buds on one of them. One (and only one) bloomed last year, and I am hoping for more this year. When they bloom, the fragrance reminds me of buttered popcorn, I don't know if that reference is common or just my own observation. Some of the survivors were gifts from Mike in Florida, and I may try and get more from him next spring. Otherwise, this father's day was relatively uneventful for me. Candy and Sharon came over this morning for brunch, and I made a nice egg loaf. It was a record day for plate use, and it was the first time I actually sat at the table and ate in the dining room. In the 18 months I have lived in the Curious House, I have used the same plate, glass, fork and knife. I have never used the dishwasher. I have used the oven twice (maybe three times). I'm just a simple man. And a lucky man.

No comments:

Post a Comment