Friday, September 23, 2022

Volume 14 - Day 266/99, 2022 - Friday

It's the political season, and charges of lying are flying. Is there a difference between little lies and big lies? One study published in the Journal of Basic and Applied Psychology found that the average American lies three times in a 10 minute conversation. In another study, college students said they lie between 1 and 2 times per day. Sometimes we lie to avoid social conflict (dinner sounds great, I'll call you), or to keep from hurting someone's feelings (no, that dress does not make you look fat). Bigger lies are generally intended to protect our own self image. When our own ideal self is contradicted, we lie to build ourselves up. Most common lies: I'm fine, nothing's wrong. I was stuck in traffic. You look great (I hear that a lot!). I only had one beer. My phone died. I never got the message. I'll call you right back. It was on sale. I'm on the way. It's just what I wanted, thanks. You haven't changed a bit. I didn't touch it. I'll try to make it. I would never lie to you. The subject of this post came to me this morning when Jay and I were walking. I had heard a book review many years ago, and the book was about...what happens when all the lies you have told in your life start to really happen. I had a flat. No, I have another engagement. I'm sick, I can't come in to work today. I think it is an interesting concept, and if anyone of my tens of followers can tell me the name of the book, I will be forever in your debt. Or not. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment