Sunday, October 24, 2010

2010 - Day Two Hundred Ninety Seven...

I am feeling better, not coughing quite as much (I don't think), but my day of rest did not go as restfully as I had anticipated, although it was pretty restful as weekend days go here in paradise. It was almost 7 o'clock before I got up this morning, and I did my usual thing of chores and checking meters. I was pretty darned excited because Miguel was expected to show up today and fix the two water leaks, and put some additional water cut-offs into operation around the place in anticipation of winter weather. Just because I like to have a photo at the opening of each entry, I am including this photo of one of the lillies that is in its' second bloom for the year. I took this photo yesterday, and the other buds have opened today and it is more glorious than it was.

I am pretty darned excited, too, because Jody and I have pretty much decided to take up ALL the plantings from the front of the property (up by the road), and transplant everything to the areas around the house. We will transplant pretty much everything that we do not give away, because we are planning on a 'thinning the beds' party for sometime in November. Whatever folks do not take from the front of the property, we will transplant to around the house, where it will be easier to water when we are in those drought situations. I think it is a good plan. Lots of lillies, Iris and cannas to be thinned and removed and/or transplanted.

ANYWAY...Miguel arrived before 9 o'clock, and we surveyed what I would like him to accomplish today, and then we set off for Home Depot for supplies. As is usual for Home Depot, they did not have all the things we needed (what self-respecting home repair store does not have 1/2" PVC cut-offs in stock?) so we had to make an extra trip to Tractor Supply for more stuff. We got home and Miguel went to work his way, and I went to work my way. Among other things, I got hose racks put up on the side of the big storage shed (still have three more to put up) and I got the cattle fed and a fresh bale of hay out to them. The cattle are very excited that they have fresh water where they are more used to it being, and I am delighted that the leaks are no longer leaking. All in all it was a great day.

Jody and I went off to Taylor to the Dairy Queen for spoilers, and on the way home stopped at the Taylor Tractor Supply for some screws. You can never have enough screws as far as I am concerned. BUT, big news; before we left we did the first of two test fires in the new wood stove we had installed earlier this year. Supposed to have some cool weather (sooner or later) and we need to do some test fires to make sure all the 'stink' is burned off the stove before we are actually depending on it. The stove did very nicely, and the soap stone top and sides held heat for quite a while. We think the radiant heat of the stove will do very nicely, along with the added feature of being able to see the fire burning. Whenever we had fires in the fireplace, it was very inefficient, and we actually had to open a window for the fireplace to draw properly. AND, it pretty much sucked all the heat out the chimney. This stove is supposed to be about 85% efficient, and you should not see any smoke going out the chimney. It is almost on the same principle as a catalytic converter, it burns the wood AND the smoke in a very efficient manner.

Six more eggs today, that makes 33 eggs in one week. CRAZY. I need to get my flip video thing working and try to post a video of these crazy chickens. When they hear me coming out to feed them, they all make a bee-line (through the bees by the way) to see who gets fed first. The thing is, none of them get fed until they are all back in their enclosure; but I guess they have not figured that out yet. Whatever...

Tomorrow is the start of another week, and the first three days will be pretty busy, the last tow days will be more calm.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, NO LEAKS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment