Thursday, October 6, 2022

Volume 14 - Day 279/86, 2022 - Thursday

The word used to describe a person who collects dolls is plangonologist. Most of my friends can't pronounce that, so they fall back on degenerate. The word plangonologist is an obscure (yep) noun that is used when a collector is specifically obtaining various specimens of dolls, mostly small models of human figures. The earliest documented dolls go back to the ancient civilizations of Egypt, Greece and Rome. Documented as toys in Greece around 100AD, they were crude, rudimentary playthings as well as elaborate works of art. My collecting of dolls began earlier this year, and I can remember when it happened. I was at an estate sale with Deb and Margie, and there was this doll in a box, so I bought it. It has swelled from there, I now have about a dozen, the creepier, the better. The photo accompanying this entry is my latest acquisition, and I hope you like it. I still have Helen's dolls (Jody's wife) in a box in the garage, and I will most likely integrate them into the house with the others in the next several days. It is warmer today, and I did turn the thermostat down to get some cooler, drier air in the house...I expect next weekend will mark the change in the central Texas weather, and my fingers are crossed. The first weekend of Austin City Limits starts tomorrow, and once again, the city will be 'full 'o freaks.' I will be working from home for the most part, I have an 8:30 zoom, a 9:30 vendor meeting at the house, and an 11:30 meeting at ABoR. I'm a lucky guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment