Monday, August 3, 2009

Day Two Hundred Fifteen...

And today is brought to you by the word...Fungi...the plural of Fungus, even though I think it would be more fun to say funguses. I put the fun in fungus...my new marketing ploy to Whole Foods. Whatever...I say these two fragile fungi growing out of a tree stump by the office early this morning, not sure how long they will last in this renewed heat, but the little bit of shade and spotty precipitation last week is performing its' magic, and it is a pleasure to see little things growing again. If the heat does not get them, I am certain a maniacal lawn worker with a weed-eater will. Any odds on how long they will last?
This has started off as a busy week. I worked both days of the weekend, and today was non-stop. Tom, our fabulous and most-capable assistant was back today, and River (our number-two most capable assistant) held everything together for us last week. Last week was move outs and move ins and today was more of the same...just busier than normal with the summer season happening all around us.

More folks are in the market for breaking their leases...I guess commitments and legal documents are not really very important to anyone these days. It never ceases to amaze me as to what folks want to do, it is always simply about them, it matters not that the Landlords and property managers acted in good faith. It is just not convenient for them to perform according to the terms and conditions of the lease. And then, after I speak with them and explain the consequences, it is always OUR fault of the LANDLORDS fault, has nothing to do with the fact that they just went out and bought a house or took a transfer to another city after completing three months of a twelve month lease. Oh well, this too shall pass.

I did go and do a little bit of shopping today. I bought some new socks, a couple binders and some dividers for some classes I will be teaching, and a new Michael Buble cd for Jody. We both enjoy Michael Buble, and his new cd is from a show he did at Madison Square Garden (I assume). If you have never heard him, I really think you should do an internet search, and hear a snippet of one of his performances. Very much worth the time. Kind of Frank Sinatra and Harry Conick performances, but maybe with just a little more up to date sound. Very nice.

Pauline and Hubert's grandson (Michael) gave me a call this morning, and he and Hubert came over and picked up the riding mower to get it running. I think the part about the gears shifting was an easy fix for them (good to know folks who know how to fix things) and Michael said I needed a new battery, too. I just got the battery this year from Tractor Supply, and Michael said it was dated April '09, so if we cannot get it to keep a charge, there will be a battery going back to Tractor Supply. I expect they will warrant it without too much persuasion on my part. I think they do the right thing, and that is good.

I think just maybe we got a contract accepted for the property my out-of-town client was interested in. I will most likely know for sure as soon as I finish this entry. I need to check my e-mail.

While Jody and I were having dinner tonight, I saw Hubert coming down the road on the riding lawnmower, followed by Pauline in their mule, and followed closely by their three dogs. We were alerted to this by our dog (Bear) barking in his outside run. We all talked for a while, and Pauline had brought us a chocolate bundt cake. We love living in the country.

You know, Lloyd Doggett had some sort of a meeting in Austin over the weekend, and I think the topic was about the Health Care issues in the news. I think all sides are free to express themselves, but according to the local news, people from all over the area, from hundreds of miles away, came to the meeting (or speech or whatever) and disrupted the meeting. It seems we have all lost any manners we might used to have had. It is really becoming an unfriendly country, no one seems to have any civility any more. I believe in free speech, and for goodness sakes, I will not deny that I have strong opinions, but can we all just try to be a little bit more polite to one another? Try it for a day, it will probably (and hopefully) work well for you.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment