Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day Two Hundred Twenty Four...

NoSiree Bob, that is not some really expensive work of impressionist art you are looking at, that is actually RAIN on the windshield of my car, looking out on the parking lot of our office... RAIN! Of course everything in life has its' unintended consequences, and before, during and after the brief rains in Austin, traffic was unbelievably snarled. The showers began at about 3:30 PM, and lasted until late afternoon (where the shower occurred)) i was not a widespread event in Austin, and as a matter of fact, on the ride home northbound on IH-35, there were sections of the city that did not get any rain at all. Traffic lights were not functioning, many drivers were doing their turkey imitations, driving with their heads out the windows, mouths open, looking upwards to the skies, wondering what that is that is falling from the sky. It is a wonder there were not more wrecks (I did not see any), and I will check the morning paper to see if there were any reported drownings!

The better news is, we got almost 3/4 of an inch of rain at our house. Jody said the rain was being blown so hard at times, it was coming down horizontally, and he was surprised that there was any rain in the gauge at all. The winds were blowing so hard here that the wind turbines shut themselves down. They have a breaking device that shuts them down if the winds reach a certain velocity (60-65 miles per hour), but I don't think the winds were that high, I think there was a lot of turbulence in the area, and they get confused, and their little computer brains shut down. That is what I think, and I am sticking with that story.

So, rain is a good thing, and I am sure there will be lots of talk of it around the water coolers all over the city tomorrow.

Other than that, there is very little excitement to report, so I will not bore you with details of the day. I should mention that I have successfully completed my second day in a row (cold turkey) in my effort to boycott AM talk radio (or all talk radio for that matter). I am feeling pretty good about that right now. It was a bit inconvenient not being able to know what the traffic ahead of me was doing, but I survived with only slight inconveniences.

I do think it would be a good time for you to try and do something kind for another person, and think about if you can make a do anything that would make our world a better place. Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment