Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day Two Hundred Thirty Four...

Last night when Jody and I were on our way home from dinner, we saw one of our neighbors (Michael) out baling hay for one of our other neighbors (Alan). Alan owns about thirty acres behind our property, and right now he is not doing anything with the property except trying to get the grass to grow well. Off his thirty acres, he got 16 bales, BUT he had shredded his land earlier in the year to get rid of some weeds and to fertilize. He seems to be kind of disappointed with his hay production, but I think it will only get better for him. I AM REALLY SURPRISED that I think we are going to do another cutting on our land in the next couple weeks, and the neighbors all think that if we get any rain in late summer, we may even get a third cutting of hay. That would be terrific. I am definitely guilty of 'hay envy'.

This is a picture of Violet (daughter of Daphney) our first born calf. She is about 16 months old now, and I just noticed today that she has a really nice rack working. Yes, cows do have racks, especially longhorns! Get your minds out of the gutter! She is really going to be a pretty girl when she matures, and I hope she will be a good mama. We shall see.

So, today got off to the usual slow start for the weekend. We got up late and read the paper, had coffee, and then had biscuits and fig preserves (thanks Pauline).Then I got out and checked the fence lines in one of the pastures, and changed the three mile solar pack with a ten mile pack, and that got the electrified fence to working. Jody and I went into the consignment shop in Georgetown and took some stuff in to our space, and then we went to Tractor Supply...I needed some PVC pipe and some fencing supplies. They did not have what I needed, but I did get some cherry flavored fruit slices! Not a total loss for the trip.

We went across the Interstate to Home Depot and they had what I needed (more or less) for the fence and the PVC pipe, so that was good. By then it was almost noon, so of course we pulled in to Dairy Queen for a spoiler. On the way home, we stopped at Alan's' (our back neighbor) and talked with him for a while, and he brought over two bales of hay to repay us for some hay he had gotten from us a couple months ago. After that, I worked awhile longer on the fence, moved the feed troughs from one pasture to the other, and then spent some time trying to get the cattle to move from one pasture to the other. Have you ever tried to think like a cow? It is not the easiest thing, but I too am sometimes motivated by food, so I could really relate! ANYWAY, I finally got all the cattle to the other pasture, and it was actually sprinkling here, but no real rain. Maybe later in the week.

So, tomorrow all I will need to do is to feed the cattle, and that will be it. Pretty much got everything done today. It was hot, and I got A LOT of sun on my face and arms. We both jumped in the pool to cool off, and that was great!

We are having chicken for dinner tonight, yum! I am kind of tired, so I think I will make it an early night, maybe sit down in front of the TV and watch more episodes of True Blood that were delivered by NetFlix. How convenient!

Try to do a kindness for someone, and see if you can make the world just a little bit better place for all of us! Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment