Wednesday, July 4, 2012

2012 - Day 186/180 - Wednesday...

I hope everyone had a happy and safe Fourth of July!

Even though I was able to stay in bed longer than usual today, when I finally got up I was able to get a little bit of work done.  I filled up water stations for the wildlife around here.  That includes chickens, birds, squirrels and probably (after dark) a variety of other critters.

After that, I watered a batch of dead bamboo, I am going to make an attempt to revive the bamboo patch by 'sewing' some plants among the dead bamboo.  I do not want to take the dead bamboo down, because the chickens use it as a refuge from larger animals of prey, and I an going to try and supplement the dead plants with some live plants to fill in.  I found a bamboo farm in Luling, and the man there said that, even though the bamboo is dead, the roots of the plants are probably really compact, and it would be really difficult to dig holes in it to plant the new bamboo, so I am watering it to try to make it easier to dig.

After that, I planted the three remaining Agave plants on the berm of the storm shelter, and then (drum roll) I let the littlest chickens loose to explore on their own.  They seemed to take to the idea pretty well, and the big chickens did not really bother them.  They have been in and out of their little coop and they will stay in the coop overnights for about another five to seven days, and then one night (before the 13th) I will put them in the big coop with the big girls.

I need to do it before the 13th (my target is the 11th), because I am planning to acquire some newer chicks on the 13th.  That will be interesting, and that will be the last of the new chicks for this season.

Even though my voice-mail message for today says I am not working, I did take two or three calls.  I would rather take the calls than have to return calls.  When returning calls, it is interesting that (even if you call five minutes after someone leaves you a message) you always have to leave a message.  Turns into phone tag, and so I just prefer to avoid the extra steps.

Tomorrow and Friday are shaping up to be really busy days, BUT I am voting that every week contain a Holiday in the middle of the week, or we just go straight to a four-day work week.

Who's with me?

Deeds, Actions, Changes, LOOSE CHICKS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment