Tuesday, July 10, 2012

2012 - Day 192/174 - Tuesday...

Ever since we moved here, Jody and I have know that the house was built in 'a hollow', kind of a low spot in the topography.  It has been referred to as a former 'rattle snake nest', and other less interesting terms.  In the past couple days however, this might have worked to our advantage.  This morning I emptied 4.47" of rain from the gauge.  Our neighbors (Randy, Irene, Hubert and Pauline) reported accumulations in the range of about 3.5".  When I got home this afternoon, I checked the gauge and we have 1/100th of an inch of rain, and after a brief shower, we now have .39' in the fancy-schmancy gauge.  Total accumulation for the month of July so far (it ain't over yet) is exactly 5".  HOT-DAMN!

There is one advantage to checking your (various) meters on a daily basis, notwithstanding the anal-retentive and obsessive-compulsive diagnosis that one would normally associate with that behavior.  When I got home this afternoon, not only did I check the rain gauge, I checked the front electric meter, the water meter, the main electric meter and the generation of energy from the wind turbines.  Having boasted of the rainfall yesterday, and in the back of my head considering that we would not need to use very much water for at least the next week, I noted that we had used over 600 gallons of water today.  Taking into consideration normal usage, watering some landscaping and the cattle consumption of H2O, we would really not use that much in a normal day, especially not after a heavy rain.  SO, after dinner, I headed out to the back pasture, and found one of the troughs with a bad float, just spewing water.  I am getting pretty good at this diagnosis stuff.

AND, the new tank is about half-full of water as a result of the rain last night, and I expect the old tank is even better than that.  SO, as they say, a new calf and a good rain is always welcome!  Sorry, but I am not sure who 'they' are.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, MORE RAIN, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment